Monday, August 07, 2006

Questions appropriated from a Playboy interview with Frank Sinatra by Joe Hyams in 1962.

Answers - circa 2006.

PLAYBOY: Frank, in the 20 years since you left the Tommy Dorsey band to make your name as a solo singer, you've deepened and diversified your talents with a variety of concurrent careers in related fields. But so far none of these aptitudes and activities has succeeded in eclipsing your gifts as a popular vocalist. So why don't we begin by examining Sinatra, the singer?

SARAH: My name's not Frank.

PLAYBOY: Many explanations have been offered for your unique ability -- apart from the subtleties of style and vocal equipment -- to communicate the mood of a song to an audience. How would you define it?

SARAH: I'd say my singing style could be defined as being akin to a passionate walrus in a fit of girlish enthusiasm.

PLAYBOY: Doesn't any good vocalist "feel" a song? Is there such a difference . . .

SARAH: Yes, a good vocalist "feels" a song...

PLAYBOY: Of the thousands of words which [sic] have been written about you on this subject, do you recall any which have accurately described this ability?

SARAH: I think these are the first words that have ever been written about me publicly. I can't remember. Not a thousand. Definitely. Maybe 10 or 20.

PLAYBOY: From what you've said, it seems that we'll have to learn something of what makes you tick as a man in order to understand what motivates you as an entertainer. Would it be all right with you if we attempt to do just that -- by exploring a few of the fundamental beliefs which [sic] move and shape your life?

SARAH: Sure, go ahead. I'll tick as a man. For your entertainment.

PLAYBOY: All right, let's start with the most basic question there is: Are you a religious man? Do you believe in God?

SARAH: I am not a religious man, or a religious woman, either.

PLAYBOY: You haven't found any answers for yourself in organized religion?

SARAH: Right. I have not found organized religion to be helpful. I see the use for organized religion for social and political reasons, but I find that use of religion, primarily for social and political reasons, to be antithetical to what religion should be about. I am religious to some extent, really, but on a personal level.

PLAYBOY: Hasn't religious faith just as often served as a civilizing influence?

SARAH: I think that's what I just said...

PLAYBOY: But aren't such spiritual hypocrites in a minority? Aren't most Americans fairly consistent in their conduct within the precepts of religious doctrine?

SARAH: No.

PLAYBOY: Are you saying that . . .

SARAH: Yes? Are you going to finish that sentence?

PLAYBOY: If you think you're stepping over the line, offending your public or perhaps risking economic suicide, shall we cut this off now, erase the tape and start over along more antiseptic lines?

SARAH: No, this is just my playing around with the words of an old Sinatra interview. It's not really real. I think we'll be OK.

PLAYBOY: All right, then, let's move on to another delicate subject: disarmament. How do you feel about the necessity and possibility of achieving it?

SARAH: Well, whom are you referring to?

PLAYBOY: Are you suggesting that disarmament might be detrimental to peace?

SARAH: It's a simple question...

PLAYBOY: You foresee no possibility of world war or of effective disarmament?

SARAH: Involving Iran? Or Korea? Or maybe China? No - I think we're stuck in these smaller but nasty wars with trumped up names like "Operation Desert Storm" and "Operation Iraqi Freedom" for now.

PLAYBOY: You tell us.

SARAH: Excuse me?

PLAYBOY: Do you feel, then, that nuclear testing should be continued?

SARAH: No, I think we're Ok in that area.

PLAYBOY: You spoke a moment ago of the fear and suspicion that might nullify any plan for lasting and effective disarmament. Isn't continuing nuclear preparedness, with or without further testing, likely to engender these emotions on an even more dangerous scale?

SARAH: I'm sorry, did you say there were sandwiches over there?

PLAYBOY: On a practical level, how would you combat Communist expansion into areas such as Cuba, Laos and the emerging African nations?

SARAH: Next.

PLAYBOY: Do you share with the American Right Wing an equal concern about the susceptibility of our own country to Communist designs?

SARAH: Hmm. Well, no.

PLAYBOY: In combating Communist expansion into underdeveloped areas here and abroad, what can we do except to offer massive material aid and guidance of the kind we've been providing since the end of World War II?

SARAH: You mean, make the underdeveloped areas developed? I think the developed areas would have something to say about that, when you start taking their extra street lamps and garbage collection away from them to give a little more to skid row. But back to the communist thing, as that's not really a worry anymore, what is it that has replaced that paranoia? Not much, because in a P.C. culture such as our own, everyone is welcome, which is an asset to the oft negatively murmured acronym.

PLAYBOY: Is American support of the UN one of the ways in which we can uplift global economic conditions?

SARAH: Yes.

PLAYBOY: With or without main land China in the UN, what do you feel are the prospects for an eventual American rapprochement with Russia?

SARAH: rapproche-what?

PLAYBOY: We dig.

SARAH: Oh.

PLAYBOY: Frank, you've expressed some negative views on human nature in the course of this conversation. Yet one gets the impression that -- despite the bigotry, hypocrisy, stupidity, cruelty and fear you've talked about -- you feel there are still some grounds for hope about the destiny of homo sapiens. Is that right?

SARAH: You mean, "Sarah," not "Frank." If you asked me that 2 years ago I would have said that, no, I don't have a very positive outlook for the destiny of humans. I used to think we were just on our way out. I have been, for the past few weeks, a little obsessive about compiling an earthquake/bird flu closet of food, candles, band-aids, batteries and water. But I think that it's the sense of adventure in catastrophe that makes me do it. And the realization that that's what's going on in my compulsion has made me realize that sometimes, it's just that I want to escape from the everyday. I work a 9 to 5 job right now. A bird flu could keep me from going to work for weeks, and Paul and I could just hide out in the house a read every book I haven't read on my shelf. Or we could just dump all our supplies in the car and drive as far away from society as possible. Basically, I'm starting to realize that my hope for humanity starts right outside of my brain pan. If I see things going downhill, that's a sign that I should start working to make things that much better. I should make my situation more tolerable to me and thus participate in the world to my fullest.

Questions Copyright ©1994, PLAYBOY. Questions originally appeared in the February 1962 issue of Playboy. The interviewer was Joe Hyams.

No comments:

Post a Comment